Photo Credit: Tom Killips/NYTHA
Making Our Voices Heard In Albany
The New York Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association Political Action Committee (NYTHA PAC) is the bipartisan voice of thousands of New York horsemen. NYTHA PAC supports New York State elected officials and candidates for office on both sides of the aisle who are friends of the racing industry. It is critically important that elected officials with a keen understanding of the issues facing the racing industry are in a position to represent our interests in elected office.
PAC funds are donated by NYTHA members to advocate on concerns big and small that impact New York’s horsemen. NYTHA PAC can only be effective with your financial support. In today’s political climate and with skyrocketing election campaign costs, it takes vast financial resources and the vocal participation of our members to exert an influence on the legislature.
A contribution to NYTHA PAC is an investment in your industry, which is why it is imperative that the NYTHA membership unite and support NYTHA PAC.
NYTHA has worked hard to advocate for issues that are important to our industry. The successes at recent state legislative sessions include:
- Horsemen and Breeders regained vote on the NYRA board.
- Horsemen and Breeders awarded a mandated contract with NYRA that protects winter racing dates.
- Safety Task Force established, bringing racetracks to the table with horsemen, jockeys and the Gaming Commission to set best practices for improving safety and protecting horses, jockeys and exercise riders.
- New York Jockey Injury Compensation Fund (NYJICF) legislation amended to provide the NYJICF with the ability to explore alternative forms of workers’ compensation coverage and expansion to cover all backstretch workers, with the goal of lowering prohibitive cost of workers’ comp insurance for New York horsemen.
Your financial assistance is crucial to push for our agenda this year, which includes:
- Protecting and Maximizing VLT Revenue: We must fight to protect Video Lottery Terminal (“VLT”) Revenue that is dedicated to Thoroughbred racing purse support.
- Other Critical Issues: Protection of racing dates; ensuring horsemen share in all gaming and sports betting revenue; racetrack operations; equine welfare; horse aftercare; and capital improvements.